Pages

Friday 20 February 2015

Take a break from boring music - Game of Thrones time!





In my past few blogs, we looked at the meaning of music and started learning some of the fundamentals.  My advice at this point is to not get bored.  If all you're doing are exercises, you'll get bored and leave music.  Don't do that.  Find a song you like and try to learn it.  If it becomes tiresome, move on to a new one.  I found that being excited about what I was playing was what kept me going this entire time.


That being said, this week I have something special to offer: Ever felt like learning the Game of Thrones opening theme?  If the answer is yes, then you're in luck.  Check out the video posted above and follow along (warning: an extreme urge to watch all four seasons may appear after watching this video).


If the answer is no, then I feel bad for you and you live a sad life.


As I explain in the video, there are ways to make songs easier and harder.  For instance, a lot of people have a hard time having each hand do a separate movement on the piano.  A potential solution to this is to move your hands at a similar tempo.  It may sound a little choppy and blockish, but at this point, it's better than nothing.


If multitasking is not an issue, then you implement different tempos on each hand to add a continuous flow of music.


Let me know in the comments section if you want more of these types of videos!

8 comments:

  1. Still haven't got around to watching Game of Thrones, but you're right... Watching the video is definitely enticing! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever does not watch Game of Thrones definitely lives a sad, sad life! I do not play the piano, or any instrument actually haha but if I did, it would be amazing to learn the theme song! Cool read, thanks Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, man! I used to play piano, but never really played much that I was interested in, just a lot of classical! Definitely see my mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pretty surprised that you could play part of the opening theme with one hand, I'm the least musical person ever but I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to play the flute, and something tells me that it wouldn't sound quite the same. But it would still be an awesome song to learn nonetheless. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ready Ben, and I really enjoyed the video. I wish that I could play an instrument, especially piano... you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job Ben! I always wanted to keep up with Piano but my teacher told me I had small hands! Wicked instructional video, lets get that thing going viral.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post, Ben! I'm not a huge fan of GOT (I always fall asleep when I try to watch it!), but I have watched episodes here and there. The show certainly has a great score and theme song. Love the instructional video!

    ReplyDelete